About the Camp
The Hide Safari Camp is the product of our passion for nature in general, and Hwange National Park in particular. Built in 1992 by the Preston family, who remain deeply involved to this day, The Hide Safari Camp has earned its reputation as a consummate safari destination, for both the exceptional wildlife experience and the hospitality it offers.
As our guest, you’ll stay in one of just ten beautiful tented suites with views over the waterhole, where animals congregate day and night. Between game drives and walks in the National Park, there is plenty of time to relax in a comfortable lounge or sit quietly in a hide to watch the wildlife. After meals all together around a giant table or al fresco under the Acacia trees, you can spend a lazy afternoon by the plunge pool or in the shade of your verandah.Since The Hide Safari Camp was sited in one of Hwange National Park’s prime wildlife areas nearly twenty years ago, we have distilled the essence of the safari experience and embellished it with our own distinctive style. Hwange was once the royal hunting ground of Ndebele kings and has long been known for its abundant and diverse wildlife. In particular, the park is known for herds of elephant and buffalo numbering in the hundreds. This is one of the best places to see lion, leopard and African wild dog among the hundred or so other mammal and four hundred bird species.
- The Hide’s luxury tented suites are uniquely styled along classic lines with a contemporary twist, all are spacious and bathed in natural light. Life in the bush is not just about searching for big game. It is just as much about waking to the chorus of robins and hornbills as the rosy dawn light creeps across the bedspread. It’s about sitting quietly on the verandah to watch the comings and goings of kudu, giraffe, elephant and many more at the waterhole. And, of course, at the end of a full day, there’s that long soak in a hot bath under the stars and the warm bed where you’ll curl up and listen to the sounds of the African night.Voted the “Best Tented Safari Camp” in Zimbabwe on thirteen occasions, you know you are getting only the best at The Hide Safari Camp Ideally suited for a maximum of twenty guests, we strive to make your African safari holiday as exclusive and relaxing as we possibly can. We have eight standard tents and two luxury tents. Each tented room has been styled individually and you can choose between twin beds or a double. All our tents have en-suite bathrooms, some with outdoor showers or huge baths. All tents are mosquito proofed and have fans for your comfort in the warm months. One tent has been designed to be accessible to wheelchair users. Our little secret, the Dove’s Nest, is just about the best way to get away from it all. There are few things more exciting than spending a night out in a tree-house. Overlooking the open tree-lined vlei and pan where giraffe and elephants commonly come to drink, this rustic gem is a perfect vantage point from which to view wildlife safely, quietly. Just the two of you. Kept simple, as a tree-house should be, the bedroom of the Dove’s Nest is reached by a wooden stairway and trap door. You won’t have to forego your hot shower and warm bed and the location is second to none.
Lying on the bright bedspread, you can watch the birds hopping about in the canopy of your tree through the wood-slatted windows. Lunch and afternoon siestas on the open deck just below, swinging lazily in the hammock as animals wonder by. Imagine the glowing sunsets, night-sounds and starry skies out here. Sundowners on the deck followed by a private bush dinner and a night spent out in the Doves Nest in one of Africa’s best wildlife areas. Admittedly not for the faint-hearted, we are pretty confident that this will be a memorable night out./li>
- Best time to travel:All year round.
- Guest safety:Even though the camp is fenced off, we request that our guests be extremely vigilant at all times.
- Languages:English & Swahili.
- Currency:Kenyan Shilling/ US Dollars.
Flight Arrangements Flight arrangements are done on request unless stipulated on the package as an inclusive offer. We do not charge a service fee for flight arrangements. Please consult our reservations for more information.
This safari camp is just simply amazing and we loved it! It is such a true reflection of that renowned Zimbabwean hospitality and such a shining light for this troubled country. The managers were amazing, every need was met. Food was (too) plentiful and very, very good