About the Sanctuary
Sanctuary Olonana is an award-winning tented safari camp on a private stretch of the Mara River in the heart of Kenya’s most famous game reserve, the Masai Mara.
This small and exclusive camp, the first of Sanctuary’s luxury safari properties, was built along sustainable lines which, along with our innovative wetlands and tree-planting projects, have earned Sanctuary Olonana a gold award from Ecotourism Kenya. Game drives, cultural visits, bush dinners, sundowners, scenic flights and balloon rides, Olonana makes for a wonderful African safari.
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior décor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa.
- Located on a private concession bordering the epic Masai Mara.
- During annual Wildebeest Migration, the action happens on the camp’s doorstep.
- Easily accessible, only a 45 minute flight from Nairobi.
- Offers an array of activities including game drives, cultural visits, bush dinners, sundowners, balloon flights and scenic flights.
- Developed conservation and community projects – one of only a handful of properties in Kenya to be Gold Eco-Rated by Ecotourism Kenya and our guides have won multiple awards for responsible tourism
- Best time to travel:All year round.
- Children:The Sanctuary is suitable for Family.
- Guest safety:The lodge is not fenced off and we request guests be extremely vigilant at all times.
- Currency:Kenyan shilling, US Dollars.
- Game Drives
- Cultural visits to the Maasai villages
- Nature walks including a vista to the local schools.
Where it is.
Flight Arrangements Flight arrangements are service free and done on request unless stipulated on the package as an inclusive offer. Charter flight companies into various destinations differ depending on the destination, please enquire with our reservations office regarding updated flight schedules and the charter companies we work with in those areas.
We spent 4 nights here and did not want to leave – could have stayed extra days just to relax and enjoy the lodge. Management and staff were genuinely frindly and helpful, food fabulous (thanks to ‘Big John’ and kitchen staff).