About the Camp
Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is nestled deep inside Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in southwest Uganda. This camp is one of the most remote and atmospheric in Africa.
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest impresses with a truly theatrical landscape – this is a region of volcanoes, jagged valleys, waterfalls, lakes and dramatic mountain ranges. And it is here, on a flat ridge high in the forest, that Sanctuary’s Gorilla Forest Camp is tucked away. This is the ideal base for encounters with the mountain gorillas that live in Bwindi.
- Located within Bwindi National Park, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp offers guests an unrivalled location, including the best bird and wildlife viewing in the Bwindi area.
- As the only concessionaire luxury camp within Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is the perfect base from which to track the park’s most famous resident – the mountain gorilla. The main area features a comfotable lounge and bar area as well as the main dining area while the mini spa offers a wide selection of treatments. Located within the National Park, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp offers guests an unrivalled location, including the best bird and wildlife viewing in the Bwindi area. In fact Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp often receives regular visits from the gorillas themselves. For the lucky guests in camp at those times, they may have the chance for a gorilla encounter without even leaving Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp.
- The eight tents at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp are stylish and spacious, each featuring two queen sized beds. In addition to the comfortable warm beds, each tent has a huge bathtub that looks straight into the jungle canopy ideal for soaking tired muscles after a day spent observing and meeting gorillas Observe rare forest species while soaking in the tub, followed by a cocktail on the private viewing deck served by your personal attendant.
- The bar and dining cottage overlooks the rainforest and a raised natural platform is built for open air-dining. A full English and continental breakfast is served before your morning activity. Trekking gorilla’s today? The camp will pack you a scrumptious lunch including fresh fruit, sweet and savoury delights to take with. Once back at the camp celebratory drinks and snacks will be served under the stars by the roaring campfire as you discuss your amazing adventure. All meals are a la carte and served in the bar and dining area overlooking the rainforest. Chef Jackson serves a silver service dinner with four to five courses each evening. One of the mains might even include his favourite dish – Matooke rolled chicken with creamed spinach and ground nut sauce. Celebrating a special occasion? We are able to offer romantic private dinners.
- Due to its unique location, it’s not unusual for the gorilla families to visit the camp itself.
- Frequently visited by gorilla families due to its unique location.
- Exclusive camp with only eight tents, the perfect base for a once in a lifetime trip to track mountain gorillas.
- Opportunity for community interaction, including the local Batwa Pygmies,Specially customised sedan chairs with support and harness allows less able guests to be carried into the rainforest to track the gorillas in their natural habitat
- An established philanthropy project at Bwindi Community Hospital which guests can visit.
- Best time to travel:All year round.
- Guest safety:Even though the camp is fenced off, we request that our guests be extremely vigilant at all times.
- Currency:Ugandan Shillings/ US Dollars.
Flight Arrangements Flight arrangements are done on request unless stipulated on the package as an inclusive offer. We do not charge a service fee for flight arrangements. Please consult our reservations for more information.
Sanctuary Guerilla Forest Camp is truly one of those places you have to experience to understand its true beauty, so many people we have recommended this paradise have come back with raving reviews and intentions to return
James Maposa (Akeibo Director)