About the Lodge
Arathusa Safari Lodge is unique and highly sought after by visitors because of its prime location within the Sabi Sand Reserve, adjacent to the unfenced Kruger National Park. Together these two areas comprise one of South Africa’s most incredible and pristine preserved wilderness sanctuaries.Arathusa offers an exceptional safari experience – expect a high concentration of an assortment of game, including the Big Five, and frequent leopard sightings. The lodge is situated on a large waterhole, ensuring interesting game and bird viewing from the comfort of the camp.Standard and private luxury accommodation options, exceptional service, value for money and luxury spa services from Arathusa’s Safari Spa are just a few of the things that put Arathusa Safari Lodge in a league of its own.
- Arathusa Safari Lodge is an intimate and hospitable camp, with nine thatched-roofed standard rooms within its perimeter. Each room has an en-suite bathroom, with a bath and shower – as well as an outdoor shower. The verandah offers relaxing views of the surrounding veld. Twin rooms may also be arranged.The use of natural fabrics and classic interior design ensures a simple and elegant experience.
- Additional amenities include a mini bar (stocked with a selection of beverages), an electronic safe, hairdryer, air conditioning, direct-dial telephone, mosquito net and tea/ coffee making facilities.
- In keeping with the traditional and natural safari experience, there are no televisions in the rooms at Arathusa. Guests are, however, able to send or receive e-mails and faxes from the reception area
- Arathusa Safari Lodge offers a comprehensive spa and wellness experience. The treatment room overlooks the camp’s waterhole and the beautiful African bushveld, and it is here that you can avail yourself of a wide selection of treatments to soothe the body, relax the mind, and indulge the senses. The spa has two therapists, so couples can enjoy their treatments in tandem.
- The Safari Spa uses locally sourced spa products, and offers numerous signature, massage, facial and grooming treatments from which to choose – including Bath Ceremonies, Body Wraps, manicures and pedicures.
- The name ‘Arathusa’ is derived from the North Sotho word ‘reathusa’, which means, “we are helping”.The farm ‘Arathusa’ was bought by Anina Dannhauser’s grandfather, Dries Steyn, in 1960, after his farm ‘ Seville’ was expropriated by the then-apartheid government, and incorporated into the black homeland of Gazankulu. Seville is now part of a village going by the same name, approximately 20 kilometres from the Sabi Sand Reserve.Arathusa was a family holiday retreat until 1998, when the land was leased to Chitwa Chitwa. They operated the lodge as Chitwa Chitwa Safari Lodge until 30th April 2006, when the lease expired.Arathusa Safari Lodge has been owner-operated since then. Hannes and Anina are based at the lodge more often than not, and take a personal interest in each and every one of their guests.This is after all their family retreat, and guests are treated to a traditional safari experience at the hands of seasone professionals.Arathusa beckons….
- Best time to travel:All year round.
- Arrival and departure Times:Check-in time is 12h00, and check-out time is 11h00.
- Air conditioning:Each of the suites at Arathusa is air conditioned (necessary during the summer months). Similarly, they are heated on winter evenings.
- Children:Arathusa Safari Lodge is strictly for visitors over the age of 12, unless the entire camp is booked exclusively.
- Malaria:Many local people and some travellers do not take malaria prophylaxis, but most health professionals recommend you do. Consult your doctor or a specialist travel clinic for the latest advice concerning malaria prophylaxis, as it changes regularly.Whether you take oral prophylaxis or not, always use mosquito repellent (available in each of the suites at Arathusa, as well as on game drives) and wear long pants, closed shoes and light long-sleeved shirts at night. Be sure to sleep under a mosquito net in endemic areas (the anopheles mosquito, which carries malaria, operates almost exclusively after dark). It is advisable to avoid malarial areas if you are pregnant.
- Guest safety:Even though the Lodge is fenced off, we request that our guests be extremely vigilant at all times.
- Currency:South African Rand.
- Game Drives
- Bush Dinners and Bush Breakfasts
Flight arrangements are complimentary and done on request unless stipulated on the package as an inclusive offer. The above Airlines, destinations and times are general and therefore change constantly. Charter flight companies into various destinations differ depending on the destination, please enquire with our reservations office regarding updated flight schedules and the charter companies we work with in those areas.
What an amazing experience! The staff and guides were great. We saw lots of animals. Thank you so much for a wonderful trip!.